Here’s a quick and easy recipe that can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch or supper, or even as a snack option. I made this last night for supper, after a brisk walk and an hour of skate skiing. The added protein from the quinoa and seeds kept me full, even after a 75 minute yoga class. To reduce prep time, make the quinoa the day before and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Serves: 2 Prep time: 20 mins Ready in: 25 mins
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup apple or orange or fruit juice of your choice (to reduce sugars, use water)
- 2-3 cups of sliced fruit (your choice!)
- 2 tbsp pepita seeds (pumpkin seeds)
- 2 tbsp pistachios (or nut of your choice)
- 2 tbsp raisins
- dollop of plain greek yogurt (or flavour of your choice)
- honey to taste
1. Place quinoa in a mesh sieve, rinse thoroughly
2. In a small sauce pan, add juice and quinoa. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, cover and let cook for 10-15 mins until the liquid is absorbed. Check occasionally and stir.
3. In a large bowl toss your combination of diced fruit. In the photo below, I used half a large gala apple, an orange, a pear, sliced cantaloup, and a handful of blueberries
4. Add seeds, nuts, raisins and stir.
5. Once quinoa is cooked, transfer to fruit bowl and stir
6. Serve fruit salad with a dollop of yogurt and light drizzle of honey, if desired