I’m not a vegetarian, but over the past 3 years I’ve been trying to move away from anything other than fish or wild game, and… well bacon. Cause who can give up bacon!! This was one of the first ‘vegetarian’ recipes I tried and it has become a staple in my kitchen. It’s quick, easy, and is a very healthy alternative to ground beef.
Serves: 2 -3 Ready In: 15 minutes
- 1 can of lentils
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of water
- Taco seasoning (I use 2 tbsp of Epicure Taco Seasoning https://www.epicureselections.com/en/products/food/global-pantry/1315/taco-seasoning/
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 diced tomato
- Handful of greens of your choice
- 5 or 6 soft or hard tortilla shells
- Guacamole, Salsa, or Sour Cream to taste
1. Rinse lentils under running water and strain.
2. Heat a cast iron fry-pan with oil and add lentils, stirring frequently until soft, approximately 5 minutes.
3. Remove pan from heat. Using a potato masher, mash lentils.
4. Return to burner and add taco seasoning and water.
5. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, dice tomatoes, grate cheese, rinse greens and heat tortilla shells
7. Once liquid has been absorbed, spoon lentil mixture onto tortilla shells and top with cheese and veggies
8. Add salsa, sour cream, or guacamole if desired