Mmmmmmm nachos! One of my biggest food cravings has finally been modified to reduce caloric intake by swapping baked sweet potato & turnip for corn chips. If you don’t like turnip, just up the sweet potatoes to 3 or 4.
Serves: 2-3 Prep Time: 35 minutes Ready In: 50 minutes
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 small turnip
- 1 tbsp Epicure Nacho Seasoning https://www.epicureselections.com/en/products/food/dip-mixes/1071/nacho-cheese-dip-seasoning/ (salt & pepper or chilli powder would be a good substitute)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup of salsa
- 1/2 cup black beans, well rinsed and drained
- 1 cup of shredded cheese
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Guacamole and/or Sour Cream, if desired
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
2. Peel the turnip & sweet potatoes, chop into thin pieces, and cut into triangle shapes
3. Place veggies in a large ziplock bag, add oil and seasoning, and shake until well coated
4. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and spread veggies so there is no overlapping. You may need to use two smaller baking sheets.
5. Bake on bottom rack for 20 minutes. Turn veggies and bake for another 10 minutes
6. While veggies are cooking, chop peppers & green onion, shred cheese and make prepare guacamole.
7. When the veggies are cooked, remove from oven, and garnish with salsa and black beans
8. Evenly spread cheese and top with chopped peppers and green onion
9. Bake on bottom rack for another 10-15 minutes. You may want to move the baking sheet to the top rack and broil for the last minute or two.
9. Serve with guacamole or sour cream