It’s blueberry season in Newfoundland so here’s a great pancake recipe that will leave you feeling satisfied for hours. Serve with maple syrup, homemade blueberry jam or fresh berries.
Serves: Makes 8 four inch pancakes Prep Time: 15 minutes Ready In: 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup quinoa flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 cup apple sauce
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- Combine quinoa and water in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Let cook 15 minutes or until water is absorbed
- Meanwhile, combine flours, sugar, baking powder and salt in a small bowl
- In a large bowl, combine apple sauce, milk, vanilla, butter and 1 and a half egg yolks. Stir until combined.
- Next, add dry ingredients to wet and stir until just combined
- Beat egg whites until small peaks form. Transfer this to batter and stir until just combined. The key is not to over mix.
- Finally, add cooked quinoa & berries and stir until just combined.
- Heat a cast iron fry pan with oil and spoon batter using 1/4 cup measuring cups.
- Cook over medium heat until golden on each side (3-5 minutes)
- Serve with fresh blueberries, blueberry jam or maple syrup